Monday 8 September 2008

"Cuban Cigar"


Far, there stood a man,
with a cuban cigar in his hand.
My eyes filled red with respect,
for, he resembled 'Che'...

The urge for bread
became the urge for red,
which was the mass throb,
and it spread across the globe.

Red,
it visioned equality.
It heard danger.
It tasted blood.
It touched the common man.
It breathed freedom, ultimately.

Reminiscing facts,
mesmerically,I walked towards him.
Rippling smoke merged
into nature, not to be seen.

The Cuban cigar,
it's aroma has filled the hearts,
of many generations.
To feel that aroma,
I walked towards him.

But it was not a cuban cigar,
just a normal one.
And he was not a comrade
but just a hypocrite!!!

9 comments:

Rajeswari said...

reminds me of new generation so called communists..they look red from far,but all the same if u go near...i dont know if u meant the same,but looks though to me..

Srishti Padathiyaar said...

@ raji chechi

It was this frustration that led me write this one!!!

Amit Charles said...

nice
liked the flow
And true to every word about your take on Communism. Not many know the true meaning.
Perhaps, the ending could have carried more depth (jus my perception).

keep it rollin ;)

pankaj banerjee said...

Probably hypocrisy is the most hatred-buster. And when it comes to a bluenose that shades crocodile tears for the poor with empty talks of communism, even a tolerant mind oozes hatred profusely.
Srishtimoy’s mind drops tears for the deprived ones. Hence, at the beginning (of ‘CubanCigar’) her deep illusion with the look-alike bluenose was natural. But with the discovery of the double-dealing, her alert mind shreds the illusion, with a push-button reaction and revelation of her hatred of that kind.
Bravo my friend!!

Srishti Padathiyaar said...

@ Scribbler

The 'ism's are not meant to be read in books but to be practiced in life. N sadly, there aren't much which are really adaptable in the practical and modern life, I guess. :)

@ Pankaj

You always surprise me by reading my intensions behind every poem.

Santiago said...

Red may not always represent color of blood. It can be the color of tomato sauce or red chilly...

.....red flag may not always represent revolution and resurrection ... and cigars may of Batista....

Fortunately (or unfortunately) we could see the foxes coming out of sheep's clothing ...

I loved ur poem !!! :)

Srishti Padathiyaar said...

Robs,

I'm glad 2 c the idea has been conveyed once again.

Thankx for ur views.

sreeni sreedharan said...

ya, sometimes red is not red!
good observation.

Srishti Padathiyaar said...

@sreeni

Thanks friend.
Infact, i havent seen a genuine red around me since years. :)